Stripy Chocolate Almond Cake (adapted from Cakes and Loaves IIona Chovancova)
75g dark chocolate
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp cocoa powder(I did not add because I do not have it)
3 tbsp low fat milk
50g silvered almonds (I used ground almond)
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven 180•c
- Butter and flour a cake pan.
- Melt the butter in a microwave or in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water and set aside. Coarsely grate the chocolate. (I melt the chocolate separately and set aside)
- Beat together the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light, fluffy, and doubled in volume. Gradually add the flour, salt and melted butter. Gently fold in the baking powder and baking soda.
- Divide the batter into two equal portions. Dissolve the cocoa powder and milk, then add to one of the portions with the grated chocolate and blend.(I add the milk into the melted chocolate) Fold the almond into the other.
- Transfer to the prepared pan, pouring in the batters alternately. Use a fork to swirl the batters for a marbled effect. Bake for about 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan slightly before turning out.