Wanted to bake Pandan chiffon cake but changed my mind as dd wanted something chocolate. I incorporate the cocoa powder into the Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe(adapted from Hot Favourites Kuehs & Pastries)
120g castor sugar
60ml corn oil
½ tsp vanilla essence
90g cake flour
20g corn flour
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp pandan leaf juice } I use 1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp green food colouring }
60 ml coconut milk
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Sift cake flour, corn flour and baking powder together. Mix cocoa powder and coconut milk together.
- Add half of the sugar to the egg yolks, and beat till creamy and fluffy. Add in ⅓ of the coconut milk mixture, and mix well. Add in ⅓ of the flour mixture. Continue with another ⅓ of the coconut milk and ⅓ of the flour mixture. Repeat until coconut milk and flour are all used up. Add in salt, vanilla essence and corn oil and gently mix well.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add in the remaining sugar and continue to beat until firm peaks are formed.
- Take ⅓ of the egg white and add to the batter. Gently fold in to mix well. Add the remaining egg white to the batter and continue to fold in to mix well.
- Pour batter into chiffon cake mould. Gently knock the sides of the mould to release air bubbles.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 160ºc for about 60 minutes. Remove from oven, invert the mould and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.