Another foolproof recipe from http://www.joyofbaking.com/OrangeChiffonCake.html. This chiffon cake is soft and fluffy. The kids love it.
6 large eggs, separated plus 1 (30 grams) additional egg white
225g sifted cake flour
300g castor sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
120ml vegetable oil
180ml freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Separate the eggs and place the whites in one bowl and the yolks in another. Cover with plastic wrap and bring them to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
2. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C) and have ready a 10 inch (25 cm) two piece tube pan.
3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, place the flour, sugar (minus 3 tablespoons (42 grams)), baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg yolks, oil, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract. Beat about one minute or until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining 3 tablespoons (42 grams) of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
5. With a large rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold the egg whites into the batter just until blended (being careful not to deflate the batter).
6. Pour the batter into the ungreased tube pan and bake for about 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.