250g Butter, room temperature
2 tsp Vanilla extract
500g All purpose flour
3/4 tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
2 cups Milk
2 tbsp Chocolate paste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray pans with vegetable pan spray.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk; mix well after each addition. Continue beating 1 minute. Divide batter in half. Stir melted chocolate into half the batter; mix well.
- Place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared 9 x 11/2 in. pan. Pour light colored batter in outer and center sections and daker colored batter in the middle section. Fill sections halfway. Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring. Follow the same step for the 2nd pan.
- For the 3rd pan pour darker colored batter in outer and center sections and lighter colored batter in the middle section. This will be the middle layer of the checkerboard cake.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Assemble the cake. Position the layer with light colored on outside onto serving plate and spread top with chocolate filling. Position layer with darker colored on outside on the 1st layer and spread top with chocolate filling. Position final layer with light colored and ice entire cake with ganache cream
Ganache Cream (adapted from Anncoo Journal)
200g Semi-sweet chocolate ~ chop to small pieces
50g Valrhona 66% chocolate ~ chop to small pieces
200g Whipping cream
- In a large bowl, put in the chocolate pieces and butter together.
- Boil whipping cream and pour hot whipping cream over chocolate pieces. Use hand whisk to stir chocolate pieces till smooth and add 1 tsp vanilla extract, stir well and set aside.
Chocolate Filling: (adapted from Joy of Baking)
140g Semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
240ml heavy whipping cream
15g granulated white sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In the chilled bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), whip the heavy cream with the sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Then whisk or fold about one quarter of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate. (Do this quickly so the chocolate does not seize (become grainy).) Then gently fold or whisk the rest of the whipped cream (in three stages) into the chocolate.