This is my first submission to the Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Tina @ Moms Crazy Cooking.
I am very excited as this month challenge is Cheesecake. It is my all time favorite and I have a hard time deciding which recipe to try out. I happen to stumble upon this beautiful blog by Evan , her matcha chocolate cheesecake look so yumalicious, so I decided to try it out. Although mine did not turn out as beautiful, it is very creamy, not too sweet and taste very good as described by Evan. This recipe is a keeper, I will definitely bake it again:)
Matcha Chocolate Cheesecake (adapted from Evan)
Ingredients (makes one 18cm/7in round cake) :
For the biscuit crust :
95g digestive biscuits/graham crackers, crushed
1 tbsp light brown sugar (Demerara)
50g butter, melted
For the filling :
1 tbsp matcha powder
500g cream cheese, room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2.5 tbsp corn starch, sifted
2.5 medium eggs, lightly beaten
80ml whipping cream
80g dark choc, melted
- To make the biscuit base, first wrap the outside of the removable base/springform tin with foil. combine together biscuit, sugar and butter then press firmly onto the base of the tin. Refrigerate at least an hour before using.
- To make the filling, warm together water and 55g sugar in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Add in matcha powder and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth and creamy
- then add in vanilla extract and corn starch. lower speed and add in eggs bit by bit until incorporated, then gradually add in whipping cream and milk until well mixed.
- Divide mixture into two equal portions then add in matcha mixture to one portion and dark choc into the other.
- Pour choc portion onto prepared crust then bake on 160C (320F) in a waterbath for 25-30 mins. Remove from oven then carefully pour in the matcha portion, taking care not to disturb the choc layer.
- Return cheesecake to oven then bake for a further 45-55 mins or until the edges are set and center is slightly wobbly. turn off oven and leave cheesecake inside for 30 mins with the door closed. prop open oven door and leave it inside for another 30 mins. Remove cheesecake from oven and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Refrigerate cake for at least 6 hours before unmolding. Decorate as desired before serve.
Click here to view other entry for this month.