I had wanted to bake this hokkaido chiffon cupcake after seeing it at numerous blog. I am glad I did! I love the texture, it melt-in-the-mouth and the cake is light and cottony soft as described by the blog
I am definitely going to bake it again:)
Recipe adapted from:
Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes II
(Original by Reirei at Dreamersloft)
3 egg yolks
1/8 tsp salt
24g corn oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract ( I used essence)
32g cake flour
1/8 tsp baking powder (sift together with cake flour)
3 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50g caster sugar
90g chilled fresh milk
30g custard powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used essence)
3/4 tbsp icing sugar (optional) ( I used 1/2 tbsp)
145g dairy whipping cream
Some Snow Powder (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 175℃。(I preheat oven to 160℃)
2) In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with salt. Then add oil, milk and vanilla extract, whisk till well-blended.
3) Fold in flour mixture and set aside.
4) In another bowl, beat egg whites , sugar and cream of tartar to stiff peak.
5) Scoop 1/3 of the egg white mixture to the yolk batter, fold well, then pour batter back to the remaining egg whites. Fold lightly till well-mixed.
6) Fill baking cases with about 30-32g of batter. Bake for 20 mins, then leave to cool. (I baked only 6 cupcake)
7) In a separate bowl, mix milk, instant custard powder, vanilla paste and icing sugar till mixture is smooth.
8) Pour in whipping cream and beat till the thickness desired.
9) Using a piping tip, insert tip into the cake and pipe for 5 seconds. 3 to 4 seconds if you prefer less cream.
10) Sieve snow powder on top (optional) and chill cake before serving.